- There are 19 types of yoga.
- inyasa yoga is commonly referred as “flow yoga”.
- Doga is a type of yoga where the participants practice yoga with their dogs.
- Chair yoga allows seniors and people with disabilities to practice yoga.
- Hot yoga and Bikram are practiced in rooms heated to 40°C (104°F) and 40% humidity.
- Hasyayoga or laughter yoga can be used as a complementary therapy for chronic pain.
- Paddleboard yoga (SUP yoga – stand up paddle board yoga) is a practice of yoga on a paddleboard in the center of a body of water.
- In Yin Yoga, the participants hold the poses for three to five minutes.
- Acroyoga is a combination of yoga, acrobatics and Thai massage.
- The largest yoga class took place in Kota, India on June 21th 2018 and had 100,984 participants.
- Nada yoga is the yoga of sound.
- Yoga nidra, a conscious state between waking and sleep, reduces anxiety and stress.
- In Oregon, one can practice goat yoga. There is a waiting list if you are interested.
- Black yoga is a type of yoga practiced on heavy metal music.
- In Germany, one can practice ‘Beer yoga’.
- Moksha yoga was founded in 2004 in Canada by Ted Grand and Jessica Robertson.
- BKS Iyengar is the founder of the style Iyengar Yoga, a style of hatha yoga.
- Kundalini yoga practitioners wear white clothing as it promotes purity and peace.
- Karma yoga is the yoga of action and of selfless service.
Kate Saal. 2019. One Flow Yoga. https://oneflowyogastudio.com/what-is-vinyasa-yoga
Doga Mahny. http://dogayoga.fit/what-is-doga/
Guinness World Records. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-yoga-class
International Journal of Yoga. Ferreira-Vorkapic C, Borba-Pinheiro CJ, Marchioro M, Santana D. The impact of yoga Nidra and seated meditation on the mental health of college professors. Int J Yoga [serial online] 2018 [cited 2019 Jul 27];11:215-23. Available from: http://www.ijoy.org.in/text.asp?2018/11/3/215/240328
Yogi Press. Deephak G. 2018. https://www.yogi.press/home/karma-yoga