- Yoga connects the mind, the body and the spirit (will).
- Yoga comes from the Sanskrit root yuj, meaning “to join”, “to yoke” or the union.
- Sanskrit is the official language of yoga.
- Ha means sun and tha means moon.
- Yoga combines asana (postures or poses), pranayama (breathing) and samyama (meditation and relaxation).
- A yogi is a male yoga practitioner whereas a yogini is a female yoga practitioner.
- Yoga is comprised of 8 limbs: Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyhara, Dharana, Dhyana, Samadhi.
- Prana is life force.
- The practice of pranayama means conscious yoga breathing.
- There are 8 pranayamas: Bhastrika; Ujjayi; Shitali; Shitkari; Plavini; Bhramari; Keval Kumbhak.
- Mudra are hand positions in yoga and meditation.
- Three bandhas (or locks) are typically held during asana: throat (Jalandhara Bandha), below the belly button (Uddiyana Bandha), and the pelvic floor (Moola Bandha).
- There are six kriyas practiced to purify the mind and the body: Kapalabhati breath (breath of fire); Neti (nasal); Trataka (eye exercises); Nauli (abdominal muscle); Dhouti (intestine cleanse); Vasti (rectum cleanse).
- The word Shanti in Sanskrit means peace.
- The meaning of the mantra “Ra Ma Da Sa Sa Say So Hung” is Sun, Moon, Earth, Infinity. All that is in infinity. I am Thee.
Merriam-Webster. Yoga. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yoga
Cyndi Lee. 2014. Yoga Journal. https://www.yogajournal.com/meditation/yoga-questions-answered
Yoga Journal. No date. https://www.yogajournal.com/yoga-101/sanskrit
Yoga Journal. No date. https://www.yogajournal.com/yoga-101/types-of-yoga/hatha
Julia Belluz. 2015. https://www.vox.com/2015/7/22/9012075/yoga-health-benefits-exercise-science
Yogapedia. No date. https://www.yogapedia.com/are-you-a-yogi-or-a-yogini/7/8341
Mara Carrico. 2007. Yoga Journal. https://www.yogajournal.com/practice/the-eight-limbs
Gaia. 2016. https://www.gaia.com/article/what-pranayama-history
Yogapedia. No date. https://www.yogapedia.com/definition/4990/pranayama
Ram Vala. 2019. Voice of Yogi. https://voiceofyogi.com/2019/06/20/international-yoga-day-2019-25-amazing-yoga-facts-you-should-know/
Yogapedia. No date. https://www.yogapedia.com/definition/5027/mudra
Rolf Sovik. Yoga International. https://yogainternational.com/article/view/a-beginners-guide-to-bandhas
Rishikesh Yogis Yogshala. 2017. https://www.rishikeshyogisyogshala.org/6-types-kriyas-ultimate-purification/
Yogapedia. No date. https://www.yogapedia.com/definition/5032/shanti
Yogapedia. No date. https://www.yogapedia.com/definition/10604/ra-ma-da-sa-sa-say-so-hung